It’s usually around this time of year that the cold and flu symptoms begin to kick in and you are surrounded by people in the shopping queue blowing their nose or sneezing down your neck.
If you have been to your doctor’s surgery lately, you may have been offered the flu jab. Before you decide on whether to have it, you may want to find out exactly what it contains. I have done some research for you – it contains chicken embryos, detergent, mercury and carcinogenic formaldehyde. Check out this entertaining video which sheds a little more light on it.
If you have a good diet and exercise regularly, you will minimise your chances of being one those sickly people. If you’re looking for ways to increase your immunity and better protect yourself from catching the flu, check out my five top tips:
1. Load up on superfoods such as goji berries and blue green algae as well as nutrient-rich green veggies. You can easily include these in your diet by juicing them or making an antioxidant-packed smoothie.
2. Increase your intake of vitamin D — it is an essential nutrient that supports the immune system and some studies have shown it to be a flu fighter. It’s a little trickier to get your vitamin D fix in winter so I recommend taking a daily supplement.
3. Avoid dead foods. Processed, sugar and gluten-laden foods reduce your immunity and zap your body’s energy, making you more susceptible to illness. Keep these foods to a minimum or even better, cut them out completely.
4. Be sure to get some gentle exercise in the form of stretching, pilates or yoga as this helps to boost your immune system.
5. Rest up and get your daily dose of sleep. Try to get at least seven hours of quality sleep. Turn off all electrical items, make sure you sleep in complete darkness and make sure you finish eating at least three hours before bedtime to aid restful sleep.
Have a warm and health filled winter!