Berkey Water Filters
Posted on July 02 2016
For months, I researched what the best water filter was, and review after review, all I kept reading about was the Berkey Water Filters. Because I know water in plastic filters or pre-bottled water is not the best, because of the plastic, I decided to give the Berkey stainless steel water filter a try. After testing it out for about 2 months now, I am so happy with this system that I decided to become an affiliate so I am here to finally share a full review, enjoy!
Why I chose the Berkey Water Filter-
Water filtration is a crazy complex science so I am going to try and stick to the simplest points that lead me to try this filter out.
- All Berkey water filters produce purified drinking water.
- The technology that Berkey uses to purify water is able to handle the very smallest of water contaminants, even viruses, making it one of the most powerful water filtering systems available.
- The pore structure of the Black Berkey filtering element is so small that minute organisms are not physically able to pass through the filtration medium.
- This filter will last for years making this water for pennies a gallon.
- Berkey removes 99.9% of pathogens from regular drinking water. Regular filters do not always do the same.
- Filters like Brita only reduce your exposure to harmful contaminants like lead, pesticides, copper, chlorine and mercury. Berkey removes the toxins entirely!
- This system is so powerful it can even effectively purify untreated pond or river water!
- These systems can make up to 6,000 gallons of water before needing to be replaced and when it’s time, the cost to replace the filters is just $17 total per year.
- Berkey even filters out arsenic which yes, can be found in our tap water!
- This filter allows me to end all plastic use. Bye bye bottled water and leaching toxins.
- No harsh chemicals are used to purify the water where as many other’s do.
- The cost to enjoy purified drinking water is less than 2 cents per gallon, insane!
What do Berkey Filters Remove?
What Model Did You Choose!?
Because it’s just Kyle, Hudson and I, we went with the Travel Berkey which is made for a family of up to 5! This model produces up to 2.75 gallons of filtered water per hour and takes up minimal counter space. This size is also easily transportable which means you can actually travel around with this! This would be a dream come true for anyone that loves camping as it provides safe water anywhere you go! If I were to go on Naked & Afraid, this would be my one tool hehe.
What is the Maintenence of the Berkey Filters?
Not much! Simply give the filter a clean as soon as you see the flow slows down. This usually indicates a quick cleaning is needed. To read the full cleaning instructions, click here.
How Does it Work?
Simple! You just follow the instructions that the system comes with, installing the filters and then you’re set to go! I think the setup took me maybe 10 minutes? Whenever you’re low on water, simply fill it back up and let the filtering process begin again. If you also want to be sure to remove fluoride, you can add that filter to your system as well. Learn more about the fluoride filter here.
Overall, I am obsessed and will forever use this filter! I can get clean, pure water, right in my home, at any time, all while lowering my plastic load on the planet, major score. While this sounds like a pricey investment, it actually saves you so much money long term. These systems cost about 1.8 cents per gallon which is crazy low!
Where to Shop?
For those that live in CA, you can not get the Big Berkey shipped to you because of the state’s technicalities, however, most people just have it shipped to a friend out of state who can then ship to them! To shop for your very own Berkey, head to their site here, there is a ton of info so be sure to really read through it all to see how amazing this system truly is!
Simply enter code organicbunny at checkout! <SHOP>