It can be confusing when starting out eating a raw food diet or even just cutting out eating animal products as the primary source of concern for most people is where they will get their nutrients from. Enter superfoods. If you’ve never heard of superfoods or if you have no idea where to start when looking to incorporate some into your diet, then you might like this list of the top 10 superfoods that David Wolfe, king of raw foods and superfoods believes should be included in your diet;
Top 10 Superfoods and Tonic Herbs
1. Cacao (Raw Chocolate) — The seed/nut of a fruit of an Amazonian tree, cacao is the highest antioxidant food on the planet, the #1 source of antioxidants, magnesium, iron, manganese, and chromium and is also extremely high in PEA, theobromine and anandamide ( otherwise known as the “bliss chemical”). Raw Chocolate helps to improve cardiovascular health, builds strong bones, is a natural aphrodisiac, elevates your mood and energy, and increases longevity.
2. Goji Berries — Goji berries are regarded as a longevity, strength-building, and potency food of the highest order and have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 5,000 years. Goji berries, otherwise known as the “Wolfberry” contains 18 kinds of amino acids, including all 8 essential amino acids, up to 21 trace minerals, high amounts of antioxidants, iron, polysaccharides, B & E vitamins, and many other nutrients.
3. Maca — This adaptogenic superfood increases energy, endurance, strength, and libido and has been used as a staple food in the Peruvian Andes for thousands of years,. Dried maca powder contains more than 10% protein, nearly 20 amino acids, including 7 essential amino acids. Maca contains five times more protein than a potato and four times more fibre.
4. Hemp Products — Hemp seeds are packed with 33% pure digestible protein, and are rich in iron, amino acids, and vitamin E as well as omega-3’s and GLA. Omega-3’s are important in cell regeneration and healthy brain function. Hemp is also perfect food for growing children and adults looking to increase protein intake.
5. Spirulina — Spirulina is the world’s highest source of complete protein (65%). Spirulina provides a vast array of minerals, trace elements, phytonutrients, and enzymes.
6. Bee Products — Bee pollen is the most complete food found in nature containing nearly all B vitamins especially vitamin B-9 (folate) and all 21 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Honey, in its organic/wild, raw, unfiltered states is rich in minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, and enzymes, and is one of the highest vibration foods on the planet.
7. Camu Berry — Camu Camu is the highest source of Vitamin C on the planet. It is great for rebuilding tissue, purifying blood, and enhancing immunity, and energy. Camu berry is one of the best anti-depressants, immune building, and eye-nourishing superfoods in the world.
8. Sea Vegetables (kelp, dulse, nori, hijiki, bladderwrack, chlorella, etc) — Power packed with nutrients, sea vegetables help remove heavy metals, detoxify the body of radioactive iodine, provide numerous trace minerals, regulate immunity, and decrease the risk of cancer. Seaweeds benefit the entire body, and are especially excellent for the thyroid, immune system, adrenals, and hormone function.
9. Medicinal Mushrooms (Reishi, chaga, cordyceps, maitake, shiitake, lion’s mane, etc.) — High in polysaccharides and super immune enhancing components, medicinal mushrooms are one of the most intelligent adaptogenic herb/superfoods on the planet! They have also been proven effective in healing cancer and a variety of other ailments.
10. Additional Powerful Superfoods and Supplements — MSM, Digestive and Metabolic Enzymes, Mangosteen powder, Marine Phytoplankton, Activated Liquid Zeolite, Ormus, MegaHydrate, Crystal Energy, Krill Oil (not vegan, lowest on the food-chain, a source of long-chain omega 3 fatty acids).